Monday, January 25, 2010

Cast-Down Sheep

Here’s an article I’ve read from my daily devotional – Our Daily Journey. I find it very inspiring so please allow me to share it with you. As you go through it, you may ask yourselves two questions:

First, what has caused me to be in a cast-down position? Is it pride, thinking I could do things on my own? That I do not need a Shepherd at all? That my strength is sufficient for me to survive the dangers and struggles of life? Is it groundless fear or useless anxiety? Resorting to nonsense panic at the smallest thought of discomfort, pain or hardship?

And second, how will I trust the Shepherd to restore my soul? It is hard to lay down and entrust myself to a God whom I cannot see. But this is the very same God who has breathed life into my very being. The One who knew me and cared for me when I was still in the darkness of my mother’s womb. The One who had plans of greatness for me even before I was born.

At a certain point in our lives, we all have to admit that we are cast-down and acquaint ourselves with the pains of falling before we discover the real Source of our strength. Yes, falling down isn’t the end of it all. The Shepherd is there to lovingly help us get back on our feet. We just have to let go of our pride, fears and anxieties and allow Him to soothe our pains and rejuvenate our souls.

Please do share your valuable thoughts. God bless you!

From “Our Daily Bread”

Phillip Keller, in his classic book A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, gives a striking picture of the care and gentleness of the shepherd. When David said, “He restores my soul”, he chose language that every shepherd would understand. A sheep is built in such a way, that if it falls over on its side and onto its back, it is very difficult for it to get up again. In this position, it flails its legs in the air, bleats, and cries. After a few hours on its back, gas begins to collect on its stomach, the stomach hardens, and the sheep suffocates. This position is called a cast-down position. A cast-down sheep needs a loving shepherd to restore it.

To restore a cast-down sheep takes time. The first thing a shepherd does is massage its four legs to restore circulation. Then while calmly reassuring the sheep with his voice [yep…a sheep recognizes his shepherd’s voice], he gently turns its over, puts his hand under the sheep’s belly, lifts it up, and holds it so it can gain equilibrium. When the shepherd feels that the sheep can stand on its own, he lets the animal go and watches it take a few faltering steps. He has restored a cast-down sheep.

What a picture of what God does for us! When we are on our back, flailing because of guilt, grief, and grudges, our loving Shepherd reassures us with His words. With His tender hands, He lifts us and carries us until we’ve gained spiritual equilibrium.

Jesus wants to restore your soul. Let Him remove your guilt, relieve your grief, and replace your grudges. If you’ve been “cast down” for any reason, He’s the only one who can help you get on your feet again. He is your confidence, joy, peace, and strength.

Blogger’s note: Apologies for the insufficient citation especially as to the author of this article. As of this reposting, I do not have the copy of the devotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment